I know my family is proud of me no matter what, and they try not to put any expectations on me. I am my own worst enemy - I am harder on myself than anyone could ever be. I hold myself up to near impossible standards, as do many of my friends -- I think that's a reason they're all so accomplished and amazing and wonderful. But sooner or later, even Supergirl falls from the sky.
I didn't get into UNC. Yeah, you read that right. I didn't get into the school I am ALREADY in. To say that I feel like I failed is the understatement of the year. I am hurt, angry, mortified, sad, humiliated - devastated would be an appropriate word, I guess. I had planned to possibly buy the condo I am living in, stay in my neighborhood.....and now, all of that is up in the air. I haven't heard from Columbia yet, but I am not holding my breath. Apparently, there were record numbers of applicants. I am meeting with the Chair of the department next week to discuss it. All of this does not make me feel better. So I am trying to look for jobs at UNC, Duke, NC State, RTP.....but it doesn't take the sting of failure away. It doesn't take away any of the disappointment I feel. For quite possibly the first time in my life, living in NY might not make me happy. I want to stay here, in Chapel Hill. If, by some miracle, I did get into Columbia, I guess it was meant to be. But I am still waiting. I never saw the MPH as my end goal -- it was supposed to be a stepping stone to the PhD. Right now, there is no joy in this degree. I know how that sounds, and I'm sorry. But right now, it's how I feel.
No one can say anything that will make me feel better right now. I have to figure this out on my own. This has completely floored me. But sooner or later, I know I'll get up off the floor. But not today.
"...Then, when it seems like we will never smile again, life comes back." - Source Unknown
5 comments:
Life has a way of throwing us curve balls at times, and you know the old saying.....one of your favorites...."When a door is closed, a window is opened...but we have to find that window and take it". You darling,can make it out that window...just like the little spider you portrayed years ago sitting in the window...remember?? You just have to take it and make it your own "wonderful" "spectacular" world. I'm counting on you that you will.....
MM
By the way, being the best in your field and having passion is what counts in life. Degrees don't make a difference except in taking up space on the wall. Some of the best and brightest people around have learned from the school of life, not some institution of learning. But, you will find that on you own....some of the biggest idiots are those with myriads of degrees but not the passion, the heart, and the soul that you possess to help in the field of oncology....and NO ONE can take that from you....
Do the best you can with the best you have. "No day but today".
Love you all the time with all that I have....
MM
I'm so incredibly sorry. Trust me, I know all about disappointment and how life just sucks sometimes. And someday you will get off the floor but for now it's okay to just lay there. I spent many days on the floor. I'm praying for you!
Amy W. is so right....you can lay there on the floor for now and catch your breath, but remember, you are only beaten if you do not get up again and try. Failure is when you don't get up from the floor you were knocked down on. So, gather strength and get up..when you feel like it...just remember to get up.
MM
“To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.“
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~
Post a Comment