Saturday, March 19, 2011

New York state of mind.


Me and my favorite little guy

Matching Shirts!

Sitting on the steps of Low Library at Columbia

So. I went into the city while I'm up North visiting, and it was the first time I'd been in the city since March 2009. To be honest, though I've really missed Manhattan, I haven't realistically thought about moving back. I love my life in Chapel Hill. I live in a wonderful New Urbanist neighborhood; the town feels like a small town, where the baristas and workers at the co-op know me and the employees at B&N and Dick's Sporting Goods know me as well....I've built a life there in the almost 4 years I've lived there. A large chunk of my wardrobe is Carolina blue, I live for March Madness and the hatred for Duke runs through my veins as though it's always been there. In short, I have become a Tar Heel. Anyway....as I got into Penn Station and bought the MetroCards for my mother and I, that familiar thrill started trickling into my blood - the electric undercurrent of the crowded station, the constant humming of the city and overstimulation wherever you turn. Riding the 1 train up to Columbia, I passed the old familiar stops that I used to frequent so much - 59th St/Columbus Circle, where my favorite Whole Foods is, as well as the Borders and J.Crew I would shop at; 66th St/Lincoln Center, where the B&N was that had the amazing 4th floor cafe where I would stare down at the city while drinking my coffee and doing homework; 72nd St with the Urban Outfitters, the station where I saw the man get hit by the subway train; and 110th St, the stop that would signal it was time for me to get off and walk the two blocks to my apartment on 112th, between Broadway and Amsterdam. Finally, we got to 116th and walked up the subway steps, and as we stepped into the sunlight and turned to the left, there I saw it: Miller Theater, Columbia University School of the Arts.
We stepped through the open gates of the University, and though I hadn't been on campus since 2004, I fell in love with it all over again, like I'd never been gone. The campus will do that to you. It is an oasis of beauty and green in the concrete jungle of the city. Personally, I've always been reminded of the movie "Dead Poets Society." Especially in Butler Library, where it is hard not to be blown away by the marble and chrome. My mom and I walked up the steps to the School of the Arts, and I kid you not, as crazy as this sounds, I was honestly excited and thrilled that I was actually here, that I was actually doing this, that it might become a reality. I met with some of the admissions people, the financial aid rep (who assured me that I would not have to sell any non-essential organs to afford the 50k-per-year tuition), and went up to the 4th floor, where the Writing department is. the students were on spring break, but I was able to see the classrooms, the student lounge and was given the student handbook, a course listing packet, a thesis anthology from last year's students and a copy of the literary journal "Columbia." Looking at the rooms where workshop and lecture would be, I couldn't help but think of the writers that have sat in those rooms before - Jonathan Ames, Tama Janowitz, Meghan Daum, Heidi Julavits, Susan Minot, Rick Moody, Vendela Vida, and of course, the infamous James Franco. I know college is a business, but it felt like they genuinely wanted me to go there.
I left there wishing that I didn't love it so much, that I wish I had found more - something, anything - wrong with the program, other than the tuition. In their defense, there are actually more financial aid opportunities than you might be led to believe otherwise....many of which start the second year, unfortunately.
Anyway. After we left campus, we had delicious falafel at Amir's, went to see my old apartment building, and stopped at Book Culture across the street, which used to be Labyrinth Books when I lived there. Then we went to Pinkberry (a great addition to the 'hood), and hopped a cab to the East Side, where we went to Dylan's Candy Bar (because I love it) and Bloomingdales, where we had coffee at David Burke (he of David Burke and Donatella fame) and did some shopping. It was an exhausting day, but very fun and very tiring.
So, other than that, I still don't know what I will be doing come fall. The New School has not found it in their hearts to even show me the courtesy to let me know their decision, even when I explained I was only visiting the city for a day; and UNC informed me they are STIIIILLLL making their PhD decisions. So. If college is a business, guess who's probably getting my money?



No comments: