I am done my Master's Paper, turning it in tomorrow, and tomorrow is my last real day of classes. I have a sports medicine class on monday, but that's it. My MPH is over. I had my exit interview today, and I didn't hold back....for the most part. The truth is yes, in many ways, I am disappointed in my department for many reasons, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love Carolina and Chapel Hill, I have met some truly amazing and wonderful people, and I did learn a lot -- just not in the classroom. Most of the important things that I learned, I learned from my friends and their work experiences. I learned about rural health from Regina, LGBTIQ issues from Lauren, international issues from numerous people in my cohort, and just simply talking with other people who have differing opinions and viewpoints was a learning opportunity. THAT is what I am taking with me. That is what I love most about my program. That is what I will miss.
I was asked if I was going to go to graduation, and the answer is no. I was asked whether it was out of principle or if it conflicted with something else, and I answered honestly - out of principle. But not the principle people might think. Honestly, yes, at first, it was mortification about walking in front of the HBHE people who voted against me. But it's become more. I feel betrayed by my department a little bit - I got more support and better recommendations from those NOT in my department. I got more guidance from people in other departments and people not even in SPH. To be brutally honest, even my PCP at student health showed more interest in my career plans and gave more emotional encouragement than anyone in my department. I mean, hell, I'm under orders from her to email her about jobs when I hear *anything*, and she also had wanted me to email her each time I heard from a PhD program. If I sound bitter, I'm not. I'm being honest. I know that no graduate program is perfect. I love UNC, and most of the people in my department. Would I have applied to HBHE instead 2 years ago, if I knew then what I know now? Possibly. But I would, in the end, not trade this experience for anything. Like I told my advisor today, I have gained things from the past 2 years that no one can teach in a classroom, but more importantly, no one can take away. I have gained self-reliance, I know more about who I am and what I stand for, and I've learned that sometimes, speaking up isn't popular, but necessary. I've learned resilience and perserverance, gained some confidence about my abilities, and become more secure with myself. The past 2 years have reaffirmed my interest in oncology, and has shown me how much I still need to learn. The best summer of my life came out of being at UNC.
But all that aside, another reason I am not going to graduation is because, even now, weeks later, I am not happy with the MPH, knowing this is it for now. This was not my plan. This is not how it was supposed to be. I'm sure you're all sick of reading about this and hearing it, but let me have this for now. The PhD has been a general goal of mine since undergrad, and once I found psychosocial oncology, I love the field so much and am so passionate about it, that I wasn't going to settle for anything less than a PhD, so I could fulfill my goals. There is no joy in this degree right now. I am still very, very disappointed with myself, and very angry at myself. I still feel like I failed, every day. When you've wanted something so badly for so long, and planned your life around it, it's devastating when things go wrong. I am not "over it" yet, and probably won't be fully vindicated until I get into a PhD program, hopefully next year. I cannot sit there at graduation and be proud of myself right now. I don't want my family to celebrate this, because I'm not celebrating anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You have NOT failed. No one fails after getting the education you have got, the friends you have made, the people you have touched and touched you in response, the places you have gone and the things you will think....the world is out there..and in the immortal words of Dr. Suess- "the things you will be...." You are and have always been my heroine-everything brash and beautiful I wanted to be and was not.
You are wise beyond words- a bit harsh at times- damn right caustic- but also brilliant, seeking hope and seeing hope where others have given up hope. Don't lose that wonder in you-too many people depend upon it. You are NOT a failure- it is not in your DNA. A failure results when you do not get up after being knocked down. You can rest on the floor-but ultimately you WILL get up. It's just a part of being Jaime...
MM
Do you need circumstancial pomp for a reason to celebrate.
I think you should still celebrate the years because of the people.
Maybe society created cookie cutter ceremony to ease us through life transitions without having to think too much about it. Maybe to create win observances to balance the loses.
Go ahead and celebrate. You've more than earned a smile or two and the people around you.
Congradulations on the years and the MPH thing too.
"It's time now to sing out,
Tho the story never ends
Let's celebrate
Remember a year in the life"
Yes, maybe Luke is right-
"So let's find a bar
So dark we forget who we are
And all the scars from the
Nevers and maybes die
Let's go out tonight
Have to go out tonight
You're sweet
Wanna hit the street?
Wanna wail at the moon like a cat in heat...
Just take me out tonight".
MM
Post a Comment