
My adorable nephew, who turns 2 tomorrow!
Two years ago today, it was snowing in NJ in the morning and they were calling a state of emergency. Two years ago today a gunman went into an auditorium and proceeded to carry on the largest college school shooting in history. It was unthinkable. We heard stories of dead students being carried out, their cell phones ringing because their families were calling them to make sure they were okay. Two years ago today, I got my tax refund, and proceeded to go to J.Crew, the Apple store, and Borders. And it was two years ago today that my brother's then-girlfriend went into labor. It was a long labor, obviously. I spent the night at the hospital to support my brother....it was an interesting night. And two years ago tomorrow, I met the best thing that's ever come into my life.
Dear Trey,
My sweet, sweet nephew. I cannot believe you will be two. Where has the time gone? I wish I could be there more with you, but I love talking on the phone with you and the cell phone pictures your mommy sends me. I remember you when you were born, and my heart was yours as soon as I saw you. I couldn't believe this person was my nephew, that I was an aunt. It was the most exciting day of my life.
Watching you grow into an actual person has been magical. You were always a happy, smiley baby, and that hasn't changed. Your smile melts hearts and breaks down barriers. Your laugh is infectious, and your kisses are full of love. You are so giving with your affection that I marvel at you sometimes. In the past year, you've learned to walk, say a few words, and become your own person. Sometimes I look at you, and I swear I see your daddy in front of me. When he was your age, and a little boy, he looked just like you. It's amazing. I love the tiny surprises you bring to my life, like when you busted out with dancing in your car seat to Britney Spears' "Circus". Who knew you were a fan! I love the way you hold munchkins in your hand, just carrying them around with you, until I break off a little piece and let you eat it. I love the way you make my family happy.
I have a nearly 2 minute message from you on my cell phone, just repeating "hi" in all sorts of ways. Do you know how many times I've listened to that, to brighten my day? You remind me what's important to me, and what I love. I knew I would love being an aunt, but I didn't know how consuming love for a little kid can be....I mean, I love the kids I babysit, but you are my blood. I look at you and I hope you have all the opportunities in the world. I hope you are loved and protected and cared for always, and I hope you develop resilience and passion along the way. I hope you know how many people love you -- a whole village, baby -- your mommy's family and your daddy's family.....there is no shortage of people who adore you. I hope you are able to carry this love with you in your heart and return to it when times get difficult. I hope you stand up for what you believe in, and don't let anyone else determine your worth. I hope you cultivate your sensitive spirit, and always lend a hand to those in need.
Trey, I don't even have the words anymore for what I want to say. I wish I could be there this year for your birthday, and I'm very sad that I'll be in NC. The past 2 years have been such a huge learning experience, of the heart and of the soul. I can never give you what you have given me. I am so proud to be your aunt.
Love you boo.
Love,
Aunt Jaime
1 comment:
That is truly beautiful. I can hardly wait for him to be able to read or read it to him myself.....he loves you very much and loves talking to you. You should see how his face lights up when he hears you on the phone or I say "Aunt JJ wants to talk to you." Only you can do that to him.MM
Post a Comment