Monday, July 28, 2008

gratuitous picture of my nephew! plus, a letter....

my nephew Trey, back in the spring

So, I was cleaning out my desk here in NY (or trying to, anyway) and going through folders, and I found a note that I wrote to my nephew on his birthday - his first birthday, this past April. I was lucky enough to be able to to fly up to NJ for it. I really wanted to be there, since I was there when he was born, too. I thought I'd post it, and maybe one day, when he's older, he can read the copy my family printed out (because they print out my blog, apparently). 

Trey. My dear, sweet, beautiful baby nephew. 
Today is your first birthday and I am so glad to be able to come up North to see you. I was there when you were born, and I knew that I would never be the same. Ever. My brother looked terrified, my parents looked dazed. And I was in love. I thought you were the most perfect thing I'd ever seen, and I was so happy you were healthy. 
I STILL can't believe that you're actually here. And I know that must sound funny, but it's true. I never expected to be an aunt at 27 - more than likely, I grew up thinking I'd be a mom by now - but this is perfect. While you're still too young to talk, let me tell you a bit about the past year. The first few months, when you cried, I'd drive you around the neighborhood, and you LOVED the song "Sweet Child O'Mine", the Sheryl Crow version. You like the Guns n' Roses version, too, but not as much. You would stop crying the minute I put that on and started singing to it. You smiled when you were only a few weeks old - and I know people will say it was gas, but no way - you've always been such a happy, happy baby. When I babysat you overnight, I just watched you sleep - I could watch you sleep all night. When I fed you, the minute that bottle came out of your mouth, even to burp you, you'd burst into tears. And you had this little problem of spitting up most of your formula all over people after eating. I can't tell you how much laundry I did because of you.
I look at you now and see a little boy, which just boggles my mind. You're growing up so fast. You're headstrong (like your aunt), you have these big, beautiful brown eyes (like your mommy), and you love animals already (like your daddy). Any day now you'll start to walk, one foot in front of the other, and we'll all be with you, taking it day by day, step by step. We might fall, and it won't be easy, but it'll be worth it.
As I write this, I have to say - I don't know if the birthday gifts I give you will ever compare to the gifts you've given me in just a year. I love you very much, baby. Words cannot describe how lucky I am - how honored I am - to be your aunt.
Love you boo. 

No comments: