Thursday, December 30, 2010

obligatory end-of-year post.


So tomorrow is New Year's Eve - really, it's just another day; I'm over the whole "do something big" thing - but that means bloggers inevitably do those end-of-year postings, rounding up everything they've done, or learned, or loved. This year did not turn out like I thought it would, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I had two foot surgeries within a 6 month time frame, forcing me to learn patience and appreciate the baby steps and hard work sports rehab takes. It also made me slow down and learn to accept help from others.

I joined a triathlon club team, forcing myself to meet new people in a new environment, and loved it. In fact, I am signing up for another year tomorrow.

I stopped fighting the impulse and urge to be a writer, and finally decided to go with it....and it was like the world opened up again.

A friend of mine died from cancer, forcing me to realize all we have is today, that tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

If you're not going to be self-indulgent, why should anyone else indulge you?

I learned humility when I was taking science classes, and for the first time in my academic life, was not succeeding. I never realized before how demoralizing poor academic performance could be, but I experienced it first-hand, week after week after week.

And of course, once again I learned that no matter what academic program I end up in, or what job I get in the future, or how successful I am professionally, nothing, nothing, nothing can compare to hearing my nephew say "Aunt JJ? I love you", or seeing his face break out into a huge smile when he sees that I've flown in for a few days. Being Aunt JJ will always be my favorite, most important job.

So what will 2011 bring? I have a feeling it will be a great year. I think there are lots of doors opening up, I think I'm taking risks I haven't taken before, and that I am open to whatever life brings me. As the writer Anais Nin said (and it's on a necklace my grandparents gave me for my 30th bday), "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
I think 2011 will be a year of blossoming.




No comments: