Thursday, November 29, 2012

18 miles of my heart

After living in the city for more than a year, I have come to know that I need places of refuge - places where I can go and lose myself and forget everything around me. One of those places has become the Strand. Tourist snark aside, what's not for me to love? It's a musty, old, sprawling bookstore with 18 miles of books, new and used. There are hidden corners with tables stacked with books you never knew you needed, and most, if not all the books, are discounted. I recently found the $2 galley section, which was great, but they've massively cut that back, which is uber-disappointing. But seriously? I could stay here all day. Just wandering the aisles, smelling the books, marveling at how many stories are held in this building. And right across the street is The Bean, a really cool coffee place that has the best iced pumpkin coffee.
When I walk into the Strand, I relax. My shoulders drop and immediately I can breathe easier. I am among books and those who love them. It's like a treasure hunt, always looking for the next great book.  Or sitting in an aisle, people-watching and eavesdropping on conversations. The Strand has captured my heart.
And their tote bags are adorable. I don't care if they're touristy. So are backpacks. so there.

No comments: