Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Out of Print Clothing


The Great Gatsby book cover t-shirt

One day I was in the mall and wandered into Delia's. Now, having been (then) 29, I have no idea what possessed me to go into a teeny-bopper store that typically carries clothes for girls who have never eaten a thing in their lives, but I went in. And I found a shirt with a picture of Maya Angelou's "I know why the caged bird sings" book on it, and loved it. It was made by a company called Out of Print Clothing, which donates books to children who need them when you purchase a shirt. I love every shirt they have, and am absolutely fiending for a Catcher in the Rye sweatshirt. With Christmas money, I got the Catcher shirt and just got my Bell Jar shirt from them in the mail today! :) I had posted their link to an MFA program facebook page (which yielded several orders) and being the awesome customer service people they are, they sent me a shirt. I have had several customer service email conversations, and I have to say, in this day and age, good customer service is hard to find. But with this company, everyone has been super helpful and friendly and they have really gone out of their way to be appreciative and excellent. I was not expecting them to send me a shirt! Even before that, though, they were very helpful and I really appreciate that as a customer.
The shirts are so imaginative and super soft and comfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing what books they choose next. I'd love to see some Carson McCullers books, or Woolf's "A Room of One's Own". I could come up with so many. It seems like an awesome company.
Anyway, go check out their awesome website!

2 comments:

Krys said...

OMFG... You just made my horrible day amazing. My students would love these. Well, love to make fun of me in these. This is awesome!!

jaime said...

they are coming out with new shirts soon, they said!