I went to the mailbox today and was overjoyed at the sight of the new, thick September catalog. When I perused through it, though, I was sorely disappointed. I've noticed this growing trend toward poorer quality clothes but more expensive prices, as well as increased trendiness, deviating from your classic, preppy roots. Nearly all my sweaters are from J.Crew, most of which are from undergrad. I consider this to be a hallmark of well-made, classic clothes. I have been wearing these same sweaters since 1999, 2000, 2001, etc. They never go out of style and retain their fit and shape, so I found them to be a good investment and well worth the money. After all, if you have sweaters for 10+ years, that's pretty good. I don't see myself getting rid of the sweaters anytime soon, and I know that they will never go out of style because they are classically cut and fit me well. Your new sweaters are full of sequins and bling and asymmetrical zippers, and are just so garish....and you charge two and three times what you used to. Who is buying this? Certainly not me. Not to mention, your autumn palette for the Jackie twinset - a staple for casual and office wear for me - is muted and gross. What happened to pumpkins and cinnamons and rich marigolds? Or pine greens, chocolate browns and candy apple reds?
Oh, J.Crew. I will hold out hope that you will come to your senses and go back to your quality, classic clothes. The clothes that we could buy now and wear for the rest of our lives. Your new catalog is full of trendy, in-style-for-the-minute clothes that many people can't pull off in the office, or even real life.
Get it together J.Crew, or else I'm going to have to find someone new.
Love,
Jaime
3 comments:
I tossed the J Crew in the recycle bin. I am not in the market for sequin harem pants. I am loving L.L. Bean Signature and Lands End Canvas this Fall.
Seriously, Jill - and it's so funny you mentioned the sequin harem pants, because I texted my former roommate (we would order JCrew together), and told her about them and how ridiculous they were. And what were they, something like $650? Who the heck buys that crap? I will check out LLBean - I used to love them, too. :)
I totally agree with you! J. Crew has been breaking my heart the past couple of years. They were at least coming through with their pants but even that's starting to suffer.
Post a Comment