Thursday, August 19, 2010

dragonflies and butterflies.

You know, ever since I made the decision to write, things have been sort of falling into place. I'm almost afraid to write that, for fear things will start to go wrong. But it's true. It's scary - I don't know what to expect, but I also have this sense of calm that things will be okay. I have dreams every night, with the thread of what are you doing??? You don't think you can ACTUALLY write, do you? Who the hell do you think you are? running through them. I wake up panicked, but feeling excited and inspired. I don't want to sound New Agey or anything, but I think the energy around me is just different - I don't have that constant anxiety of test grades hanging over me, or the sense of failure that I had with science. It's this eerie sense of calm. And though I'm afraid the other shoe will drop, someone said to me that inevitably, it will, because we need both feet to keep on walking.
And to continue the New Agey stuff, ever since I made the decision to write, I've been seeing tons of butterflies and dragonflies. Everywhere. Dragonflies are a symbol of change, of transformation, as are butterflies. I'm sure there's probably a scientific reason for this, or maybe I'm just noticing them more, but it sure seems odd when I'm sitting at a stop light and a dragonfly hovers in front of my windshield.

Of course, perhaps the other shoe has already dropped. My foot surgery might be a "failed surgery". I am seeing another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. Needless to say, that wasn't what I wanted to hear from my physical therapist yesterday. And though I was very upset and crying and felt pretty devastated, I know in the grand scheme of things, this is minor. I have my health, my family is well, and my nephew is wondrous. What more could I ask for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lottery win, perhaps.....but you have grown up around so much change in your life....what flag is in front of the house? Or maybe I should send it to you to hang in your room to remember that life changes as we all have to....I've said it before, and I'll say it again- "We can't choose what happens to us in life,, but we can always choose how we react to it."
MM
PS- Keep on swimming, keep on swimming.....

Anonymous said...

jamie-have any of the doctors ever taught you how to fight cancer with food? no chemo, rad, or other drugs are needed. please consider contacting me. i teach my patients how to prevent/reverse cancer and other chronic diseases and think i can be of benefit to you and your family. 775 223 8260 dr.gbh

jaime said...

Dr. Harris, with all due respect, while I believe good nutrition helps the immune system and can bolster strength, I have never read any empirically-based studies that prove food can fight cancer. I do not think food has the power to prevent or reverse cancer; I think good nutrition is helpful but not a panacea. I have seen too many people follow fad diets and even take care of themselves in a healthy way and still see their cancer progress uncontrollably. Chemo and radiation may not be the ideal treatments, but right now it is the best we have.