My air cast is a little shorter, but this is what my oh-so-fashionable aircast looks like.
I finally understand the impact of chronic pain or discomfort on people. It will be 6 weeks tomorrow that I had my foot surgery, and since then, I'd say a good 5 weeks at least have been marked by pain or discomfort every day. When there's no pain or discomfort, there is certainly inconvenience and impairment. 6 weeks without running or biking for stress relief. 6 weeks without taking a normal shower with both feet on the floor (don't ask). When you have pain or discomfort more often than not, it does a number on you. Emotionally, it wears you out. It really is exhausting, physically and mentally. Not being able to run and get rid of stress in that way has caused added stress and frustration, especially as the weather has gotten nicer and nicer. Physically, it stresses your body and tires you out. You have to plan outfits accordingly because the damn air cast is cumbersome, plan routes of activities and so forth because walking is hard and you can't walk fast, and don't forget to clean the open wound where the pin is still sticking out. And if you manage to stub your toe while wearing the air cast, like I did last week, well, then.....you're screwed.
I know people have it much, much worse than I do, and I shouldn't complain. I'm trying not to. But I've never been immobilized like this.....I see my surgeon again next friday, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, after he takes the pin out, maybe I'll be able to bike....I'm not counting on it though. I have a feeling I'll still have to wear the air cast a bit longer.
2 comments:
Running in the pool is wonderful....or just kicking your feet, especially just moving the feet back and forth like a fin....great exercise. Makes you appreciate the little things in life, doesn't it? And to move a little faster to open a door when you see someone less fortunate than you...
Oh my, I've been there. Broke my tib-fib two years ago and I know that exhaustion. it feels a little like prision. plaster cast, air cast, the fear. I wasn't sure I was ever going to walk again much less run. You will. You will.
Post a Comment