
The Old Well at UNC
Though not a native New Yorker, I am definitely a Northerner, born and bred. I walk fast, talk fast, can be an aggressive driver, and often find myself (unfortunately) short on patience. So how on earth did I find myself making Chapel Hill my home? When I applied to grad schools, I mostly applied to Northern schools, with GW and UNC being the exceptions. Oh yeah, and Emory. I was headed to GW when I got the acceptance to UNC, and found myself south-bound, not quite sure what to expect. The friendliness was disarming at first, and the unspoken social rules hard to decipher. The fact that many people don't lock their house doors until they go to bed at night blew my mind. I'd never been to a school the size of UNC before, and never lived in a college town like Chapel Hill. When I first got here, I liked it, but was pretty sure I would move back North when I graduated.
Long story short, over the 2 years of my MPH program, I found myself liking the slower pace here, liking the friendliness, LOVING the affordability, and feeling...well....feeling like I could adopt this town as a home. Graduation came, and I knew I would stay in the South, unless a dream job in NY opened up - and even then, it would have been a tough decision.
Chapel Hill is often called "the Southern part of Heaven", and I can see why. I love my neighborhood, which is a New Urbanist neighborhood (although some people think it's too Stepford-esque), I feel safe here, and there's a quaintness to the town that I can't fully place. When I first got a Chapel Hill address, I loved the fact that I could write "Chapel Hill" - it had been a place I'd heard of over and over, with Tar Heel sports, but actually living there was something different. Although I read NY Magazine, I also find myself regularly reading Chapel Hill Magazine. Over the past 2 and a half years, I have made this town my home. I have found favorite restaurants, cupcake haunts, and people who remember me at coffee shops. Though I miss my family often, I know they are a short plane ride away. Last summer I had the opportunity to show both my mom and my grandparents, and my dad, around Chapel Hill and where I have lived, and yet nothing I showed them could adequately portray why I like it here so much. I can never fully explain to people up North the intensity of the UNC-Duke rivalry. Or why, when basketball season rolls around, I suddenly turn into a sports fan. (although the fact that my other fave team, UMiami, is also in the ACC, sometimes poses a problem).
My driver's license, registration, voting record, and in-state tuition status all point to the fact that I am a bona-fide North Carolinian. Am I a Tar Heel born and bred? No, not exactly. But right now, I am a Tar Heel, and that's good enough for me. In fact, I just found this article written by - of all things - a native New Yorker who goes to UNC. She describes many of the same sentiments.
Maybe my sweet nephew will become a Tar Heel - he already loves Ramses the ram!
10 comments:
SoVi?
sorry.. i live in CH....
yup...the one and only Southern Village! :) where in CH are you?
Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs” with over 800 other cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
If you have not visited in a while, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer to your own blogroll. And like bloggers everywhere, I love receiving your comments and ideas. I had a hard time fitting you into one of the blog categories. So I created a new category "Cancer Professionals" Thanks for the inspiration.
Take care, Dennis
Wow. I totally identified with this post. I'm a Californian at heart and yet there's something about living in the Triangle that makes it feel like home.
=]
PS- which cupcake places have you found?? I love a good cupcake.
mindexplosion - Thanks! I agree; there's just something about here that makes it homey. There are a few cupcake places I like - Sugarland, on Franklin st. It's a cupcake/gelato/coffee/bar place. Yummy but very very sweet cupcakes. Another place on Franklin is Bliss. I really like the coffee at Bliss, and their cupcakes are delicious without being sickeningly sweet. :) love me some cupcakes! where in the Triangle are you?
@ Dennis - thank you very much! I will check your website out! :)
im in southern village as well!!!!!!! how'd you like the sledding down brookgreen?
Anon- don't even tell me you live on Brookgreen!!! I'm on Copperline, near Brookgreen! The only time I was out yesterday was to scrape off my car - I have to say, I stayed in the entire day, so I didn't know there was sledding on Brookgreen. :( I'm hoping to get out today to do some food shopping....
im on copperline.... brookgreen is 2 blocks away.
lol....Anon, such a small world! I used to live on Copperline closer to Scroggs, in those townhouses. Now I live further down on Copperline....how did you find my blog, if I may ask?
i'm not quite sure...... probably emergiblog, ernursey, or nurse k... i just randomly click on the blogrol...
Post a Comment