Wednesday, January 21, 2009

baby mama drama, Master's thesis, and snow...good times.

It actually SNOWED here yesterday - a good 4 inches or so, which is like, unheard of. I didn't really think it would snow, until I woke up in the morning and looked out my window. It was really nice to see snow. 
So, I don't know if I've posted on here about this.....but I'm sure everyone knows Lance Armstrong will be a daddy in June....well, I know his baby mama! Anna was in my group at the Summit this past summer, when we were broken down into groups of like, 10 people. She and I walked back to the auditorium together one day, and she told me that Lance had hit on her, but he was "kind of skeezy". Um, yeah. Not too skeezy, as it turns out. Craziness. And now she's having his baby. wow. Lance, just so you know, you missed your chance, buddy. I was there in OH, in Anna's group, and your penchant for blondes led you to overlook me. Your loss. 
School's been really busy, and I'm a little overwhelmed with work. I've decided on a thesis topic, and I'm going back to my original choice - AYA cancer survivorship. I'm not sure what approach I am using, but I have a little time to figure it out. 
I often think about my summer at Memorial, because it was the best summer of my life so far. It really opened up my eyes that, yes, this is what I want to do with my life. I seriously enjoyed every single day I got up to go to work. I never dreaded going. How many people can honestly say that? And I wasn't even getting paid! But I remember each morning, getting to my subway stop, and emerging onto the muggy, humid sidewalks, and going straight to Dunkin' Donuts for my morning iced coffee and bagel. And on the way home, the familiar routine....I miss it. As much as living in New York is a struggle, and financial nightmare, there's something about it that I love. And now, if by some miracle I do get into Columbia, do I go back? It depends on where else I would get in....which is a whole other ball of angst that I'm not dealing with tonight. I've been thinking a lot about my summer experience, mainly because I was really torn about my thesis topic -- I just felt so burnt out from cancer - I couldn't escape it in my academic life, my personal life, the books I read - and I needed a break. But when I tried to think of another topic I wanted to spend the semester studying and pouring my heart into, I drew a blank. There's nothing else I want to be doing. This is my passion. And I feel pretty good about my decision. I don't want this thesis to be just another paper. I want it to be a representation of who I am and what I can become. I want it to be my heart and soul and mind on paper. I want my readers to be inspired and excited. I want it to be a foreshadowing of what I will do in the field. It will be something I am proud of, knowing that I poured my life and soul into it, bound it, and turned it in. I want my enthusiasm to leap off the pages and move others to take action. And this all needs to be done by the end of April. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SOO much better than being Lance's flavor of the month. Although I love your nephew very much, I can't handle another baby mamma drama. Find a man who loves the brunette with the engaging smile and the heart of gold and can pay your graduate fees....LOL.
MM

Anonymous said...

Amen, what she said! (Except that I'd guess "flavor of the day or hour"... yuck.)

Best wishes to you regarding the thesis and future plans, whether New York or elsewhere.