Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Book Review: Jen Calonita's "Side Effects"



I was lucky enough to get a review copy of Jen Calonita's upcoming book "Side Effects." Full disclosure: I met Jen last year, when she came to the bookstore I worked at, to do a reading. She was so incredibly nice and friendly, and her YA books are fun to read, and well-written. "Side Effects" is about this 15 year old, Whitney, and her 4 siblings. Their mother died a year or two before, and their father disappeared a few months ago, which is when her brother came home from med school to help take care of his younger siblings. Whitney is on medication (as anyone would likely be, after that), but her medication has an odd side effect….it produces musical hallucinations, making a situation turn into a music video, almost. This got a little confusing in the beginning, and actually, I think the book would have been good without that. The storyline and characters were so well-developed that that element wasn't necessary. It added whimsy, but I think it would have worked regardless. The chapters are told from different viewpoints of the siblings, which gives the reader a really good idea of the environment and the dynamic in the family. I finished this in a day, because it was suspenseful, engrossing, and the characters were so real.

If you like this book, her other ones are just as great: the Belles series, and the Secrets of my Hollywood Life series are my favorites.

No comments: