Saturday, September 26, 2009

family, chosen and otherwise.

I LOVE this picture of my nephew and I. There's so much emotion behind it that it's beautiful, to me.

Here we are, at Barnes & Noble. I love his smile.

Though I love living in Chapel Hill, sometimes I do miss living closer to my family. Usually it's hardest after coming back to NC after being up there for a bit. When I came back last Sunday, it was hard. I wished I could stay up North to be near my grandparents and my aunt, and I wished I could have spent more time with each of my parents. But when I went to babysit on tuesday morning, I walked into the house to get the carseats, and saw a note that began with, "Welcome home, Jaime! Hope you had a good time up North!" I teared up, I kid you not. I thought that was so sweet. And today, when I went to lunch with two other kids I babysit for and their mom, I was struck by the wonderful people I've met here, who have invited me into their lives. K, the little girl (well, she's 11, so she's not "little"), ran up to me after lunch and gave me a big hug goodbye....she is so sweet, and I felt so thankful that I have stumbled upon great people here. They may not be my family of origin, but I am slowly building a chosen family here in Chapel Hill, made up of lots of people, some of whom are unexpected. I did miss my family today, though. I was thinking, this time last week I was at lunch with my nephew and grandparents, and Trey sat next to me and would rest his head on my shoulder. And this time last week my family and I were having Rosh Hashanah dinner. But, time goes on....and I will be up North again before I know it.

No comments: